To refer a potential patient to ROMAC, follow these steps
- Speak to the patient and to the guardian and obtain as much information as possible to enable completion of the Referral Form. If the guardian offers more information than what we are requesting on the Referral Form, please include it as well, as this may also be beneficial to assist ROMAC considerations. The more information you have, and more accurate the contact details you can provide, the better it is. Where patients live in a very remote location try to identify a suitable contact in the closest village/town.
- Obtain a complete medical history of the child as best as one can get. Try and find out the names and contact details of doctors or hospitals that had treated the child.
- Obtain or take close up photos from all appropriate angles and one facing the camera for identification purposes. These photos will be used by the ROMAC Medical Director, in conjunction with our medical information, and should clearly show the nature of the medical problem.
- Establish from a local doctor that the child meets our ROMAC surgical criteria: “the child cannot be helped in their own country due to lack of medical facilities”.
- Find out if the country has a Rotary presence, if so list the name of the Rotary Club closest to the address of the patient. Or is there a church or religious organization that would be able to communicate with the patient and ROMAC to follow up with the inquiry. You should list the name and addresses, email contact details and phone numbers of the contacts that would be willing to help us advance the case.
- We cannot assist a child that is presently in Australia or New Zealand or is a citizen of these countries.
- It is important that you make no promises. Only the ROMAC Board accepts a patient.
- Advise the parents (or guardians) that it may take several months for the acceptance notification in non-critical cases. Every effort is taken to advise the parents as soon as possible in life threatening situations.
- Parents and guardians should be aware that cases outside the ROMAC guidelines cannot be accepted. The Medical and Operations Directors determine initial acceptance.
One moment, your referral is being submitted.
Please leave this window open.
There was an error submitting the referral form, please check your Internet connection and try again. If the problem persists, please contact the website administrator.